August 29, 2014
Article by Global Pre-Meds
Hospital doctor shadowing & global health experience programs.
1. The Opportunity To Work With International Humanitarian Organisations – International humanitarian organisations such as the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), United Nations International Children’s Education Fund (UNICEF), the World Health Organisation (WHO), United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), and several others are always in need of public health professionals in different specialties to help them develop and implement long-term healthcare plans to improve health and prevent infections particularly in developing countries. Public health workers also play an instrumental role in educating women and children in resource-poor communities.
2. Helping the Youth – From proper nutrition to drug use and teen pregnancy, as a public health professional you can play a key role in improving the lives of the youth around the world.
3. The Choice To Focus on Preventive Care, Fighting Disease or Education – A major part of public health lies in preventive care. That means you will get to work on developing or implementing national or global projects that will actually prevent the illnesses that have an adverse effect on so many people’s health. Fighting diseases such as AIDS and cancer are equally important causes. This can be done either though doing research in a laboratory or out in the field. If you want to focus on education, there is a great demand for educators in colleges and universities where you can help work towards a better environment by mentoring a new generation of public health professionals.
4. Varied Coursework And Diverse Degrees Make For An Interesting Education In Public Health – Besides the job being incredibly rewarding, the coursework too is very diverse, making it immensely exciting and interesting. It’s not difficult to sustain your interest during school when pursuing a degree in this specialty. Some of the courses you will take during your education are among the most varied that you will find in any college program. Students of public health are continuously learning new skills and taking new classes. Taking that theme one step further, there are also numerous degrees to choose from. Master’s degrees and PhDs and are the most common and these have diverse areas of specialty as well.
5. Change Is The Only Constant In Public Health – From polio to AIDS to Ebola, the public health scenario is continuously changing as old health problems are reigned in and new problems arise. It’s an ever-shifting career field where there is zero risk so you know you need never worry that you may end up doing the same thing over and over again for several years on end.
Simply put, a career in public health offers something for everyone, no matter what your professional strengths or your personal preferences. It’s a career well worth pursuing if you relish the idea of staying challenged while helping the community at large. The career perks and above-average income are just the icing on the cake.