Shadowing a DoctorNovember 28, 2013
A visit to the Ještěd Ski Resort is an unexpected treat for any premed student who chooses to do a gap placement in Czechoslovakia with Gap Medics. It is the perfect way to combine your love for skiing with your passion for medicine. This famous ski resort is temptingly close to the Czech city of Liberec and has excellent road and rail links. With ample modern facilities easily available, this is one of the most outstanding ski resorts in the vicinity and has everything you need to make your trip an unforgettable one. Ještěd is very famous hill overlooking the city Liberec, with the iconic TV tower building with the restaurant on the top.
What can you expect at the Ještěd Ski Resort:
- 1 cable railway, 1 double chair lift and 2 quads.
- 5 cable tows as well as 2 rope tows for kids.
- 12 km of immaculate ski slopes offering varying difficulty levels from novice all the way through very experienced.
- Altitude 540–1.012 m above sea level.
- A modern snow-making system that covers about 85% of all slopes.
- 1.000 m of black trails, 2.200 m of blue trails and 6.100 m of red trails.
- Ski school for learners of all ages, from kids to adults.
- Ski Rental Centre offering high end sport equipment for rent. They also do ski repairs.
- Bathroom facilities located at several places throughout the ski resort
- Plenty of Refreshment stands and restaurants conveniently right by the ski slope.
Biggest attractions of Ski Ještěd
For anyone who is looking forward to enjoying some downhill skiing, the resort offers numerous facilities including ski lifts, cable cars, chair lifts and a cabin railway. All of these together are sure to make your skiing visit an experience of a lifetime.
At this easily accessible winter sports resort around Prague, you can find terrain favourable for everybody, from beginners and young children to experienced and demanding skiers. You can choose from a different ability levels as well as short and long runs. No matter what your preference or experience, you will be able to find a slope which corresponds to your level. There are also ski jumps and a lot of cross-country skiing tracks as well.
In addition to skiing, you can also indulge in a spot of snowboarding and trekking. You can find all the snowboarding equipment you need available on rent. Pine forests alternate with vast magnificent meadows, offering ideal condition for trekking with panoramic views of the surrounding area.
Ještěd ski resort is located in northern Bohemia on the outskirts of the city Liberec. It is about 100 km north of Prague, the capital city of the Czech Republic.
The drive to the resort is an adventure by itself and is a thrilling experience. Moreover, when you get there you can park the vehicle just a few steps away from the gondola so you are right in the middle of the action.
If you do not like the idea of driving down, taking the tram is an equally convenient option. From the train station in Liberec, you travel to Upper Hanychov, where the final tram station is only a short distance away from the ski lift Skalka.