Shadowing a DoctorFebruary 19, 2014
As a pre-med student you do not really need to start worrying about which medical field you may want to specialise in. For most students, decisions about specialisation usually come into play much later in the medical course but others may be sure from the start about the specialisation they are eventually going to opt for. For those who love working with children, the first choice is typically paediatrics. Still, being strongly inclined towards a specialty may not always mean it is the right choice. What if you made a mistake?
One way of getting to know whether or not you have made the right decision is to sign up for a paediatric first aid course. A St. John Ambulance Paediatric First Aid Course focuses on giving first aid to children under different circumstances.
A paediatric first-aid course will give you the confidence and the knowledge to deal with the different types of emergencies that might affect children. Dealing and working with children is very different from dealing with adults.
A St. John Ambulance Paediatric First Aid Course is a short course conducted by highly experienced professional trainers. You can opt for the 6 or the 12 hours course. If you are eventually planning on working with children, you will be striking out on the right path with this course. In addition to first hand training, you will also earn a certificate at the end of the course, which will add weight to your personal statement when you apply for medical school. Completing this course as a pre-med student will speak volumes about your commitment to a specialty in paediatrics and your dedication to this path.
Take a look at some of the benefits of completing a Paediatric First Aid Course with St John Ambulance:
- It teaches you the skills necessary to save the life of a child in a critical situation
- Basic first-aid training will give you an understanding about how best to deal with knocks, sprains and broken bones
- You will be able to deal effectively with emergency situations such as infant choking
- You will learn how to deal with infant or child-related trauma, in case a child meets with an accident
- Emergencies always come without a warning and if you are going to work with children, it’s definitely an asset to know how to deal with those medical emergencies
- It will add a lot of value to your medical school application
The course itself is very affordable and the skills you learn and the knowledge you gain are invaluable and the cost is worth every penny. Since you have decided that you are eventually going to be working with children, this course will get you acquainted with understanding children and knowing how to care and treat them. If you have made up your mind to be a paediatrician, the St John Ambulance course is perfect for you. It will give you the edge and the confidence you need when you eventually apply for medical school.