What makes healthcare such a popular career choice?
January 12, 2016
Article by Global Pre-Meds
Hospital doctor shadowing & global health experience programs.
See current opportunities
Healthcare has been featured on the list of most popular careers for several years now, and it shows no signs of a downturn anytime soon. So what makes it such an interesting career choice?
Take a look at some of the reasons why more and more students are choosing a profession in medicine and why you should too:
- You’ll be able to pursue a career in your specific area of interest. There are many specialties within healthcare and it’s always possible to find a field that’s a perfect fit for your personality and qualifications.
- The options for work settings are just as diverse. As a healthcare professional, you can work in include hospitals, private clinics, labs or in a research facility. Depending on the specialty you choose, you may work in a corporate office or home health care.
- There work-from-home options in healthcare.
- There is a worldwide shortage of qualified medical personnel, so the job market is constantly strong – finding work will never be a problem.
- The salary you can expect in the medical field is higher than average. If you’re licensed and well-trained, your earning potential is very good. Additional training and continued education can increase your earning potential even further.
- It’s possible to find government scholarships and employers who are willing to pay for your education. A commitment to work in areas that are understaffed can help you reach your educational goals without the expense. You just have to be willing to look for the opportunities.
- People in the medical field are respected because they make a difference in the lives of other people. A profession that serves people is one that offers fulfillment and content.
- Your work day will always be challenging and every day will be a new adventure. In the medical field, you’ll encounter new and intense situations daily. This keeps the work interesting.
- You’ll have many opportunities for advancement. Whether you transfer to another related field that is more lucrative or get promoted within your area of specialisation, your hard work will be rewarded, and the possibilities for moving up are endless.
Not sure which specialty you want to pursue?
The vast array of healthcare specialties that you can choose from can be both good news and bad news. While it means that you can find something that is a great fit for you, making that choice can be overwhelming. Not knowing what exactly is involved or not knowing whether you have what it takes to work in a particular specialty can leave you feeling totally confused.
If you find yourself in such a situation, you should consider shadowing a physician or doing a medical placement in a developing country. Both of these activities will give you a first-hand look at what it is like to work in certain specialties, which can go a long way in helping you in the decision-making process.
Chat with us on Facebook or Twitter, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Gap Medics provides year-round hospital work experience for people aged 16 and over. Our programs offer a unique insight into the work of doctors, nurses, midwives and dentists – helping students to focus their career aspirations before embarking upon medical training.